July 12, 2010

Decalcomania - A pre World War II vintage decorated pencil box


I knew it was an old vintage decorated box. I have photos of the lady who owned it as a teenager, dressed in her flapper finery. I knew it was German, and pre WWII because of the stamp on the back of the box. I knew it was a pencil box by the configuration of the inside. I knew it was gorgeous! But what I didn't know was how it was decorated!


As I ran my finger along the decorations, I could see they were raised. Some were faded, some still very vibrant in colors. But I could tell it wasn't handpainted because of the sameness of all of the figures and the perfect electrified gaslight lines that some of the birds were perched on. Internet research didn't help me out, but finally a clue from another vintage seller: Decalcomania!


It's decals. Old decals. Decalcomania was a decorating craze in the late 1800s extending into the early 1900s. Used to decorate china and other household items, this ebony pencil box was a super example of crafting way back when! The decals are printed on a surface that when wetted, enabled the crafter to slide the sheet of colorful birds and ivy right onto the box.
Since this box is a pencil box (although it can be used for so many other things!), it's likely that it slightly predates the flapper photo, so probably was crafted in the 19teens to 1920s. At any rate, it is a gorgeous vintage example of a historical craft and stands alone as a useful piece for any vintage collection. The metal clasp still works perfectly!
The mysteries of collecting vintage are so much of the charm to me! It's like just a tiny piece of history...one that doesn't involve kings or politicians, but every day women and men...that makes it so fascinating. Click on the link, if you are interested in more info and photos or in purchasing this wonderful vintage decalcomania pencil box.

And lots more vintage wonderfuls here: in our online vintage shop.




No comments:

Post a Comment